Our kitchen is full of medicines. All the herbs and spices which we use in our food are medicines. Turmeric is one of them. Turmeric also known as Curcuma longa is considered as QUEEN OF SPICES. Turmeric is antioxidant, antiseptic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-alzheimerand anti-carcinogenic. It is loaded with nutritional values of protein, iron, calcium, fibre, sodium, copper, potassium, zinc, magnesium and vitamins C, E and K. It’s very useful in urinary infection, toothache, skin problem, chest pain, menstrual pain, arthritis, liver disorder, chest pain, diabetes, cholesterol, Alzheimer’s disease and even cancer.
Let us we look at benefits of turmeric
- Its anti-septic and anti-bacterial effectiveness helps repair cuts, bruises, wounds, acne or other skin damages. Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent. If you have a cut or burn, you can sprinkle turmeric powder on the affected area to speed up the healing process. Turmeric also helps repair damaged skin and may be used to treat psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- We can stimulate our immune system with turmeric. It contains anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral substances that minimize your chances of cold, flu and cough. Turmeric contains a substance known as lipopolysaccharide, which helps stimulate the body’s immune system, A strong immune system lessens the chance of suffering from colds, flu and coughs.
Dr. N.K. Dutta
- Turmeric detoxify the liver, and reduces the toxins in the body. Just a tea-spoon of turmeric in your curry, milk or salads can improve your blood circulation and promote good liver health.
- Frequent use of turmeric lowers the risk of breast, prostate, colon or lung cancer. Its medicinal value inhibits the size and growth of cancer cells and tumours to a large extent.
- Turmeric ingredients help in stimulating the gallbladder, which in itself improves your digestion level.
- Anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of turmeric relieve joint inflammation and pain, especially experienced by patients with arthritis. It’s helpful in both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It has been found that those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis who consume turmeric on a regular basis experience much relief from the moderate to mild joint pains as well as joint inflammation.
- Turmeric increases liver’s ability to lower the bad cholesterol from the body, thus protecting against cardiovascular diseases.
- Turmeric’s anti glycaemia property helps in proper functioning of the pancreas and lowering the blood sugar levels. It also helps to regulate and balance insulin levels and prevent development of insulin resistance in the body thereby helping to treat diabetes effectively.
- Turmeric is also known for its age old benefits and positive effects on the body. It slows down your aging process the natural way.
- Turmeric can help prevent prostate cancer, stop the growth of existing prostate cancer. It also has a preventive effect against tumour. We can enjoy the benefits of turmeric by using it in your daily cooking. As a natural immunity booster turmeric plays a vital role in helping us sustain a strong immune system, thereby resulting in good health and well being.