What is Pratham
Pratham is a grass roots charity that promotes education of underprivileged children in India. It started in the slums of Mumbai in 1994 to provide pre-school education.It is nowone of the largest innovativeNGO’s created to improve the quality of education in India. Pratham focuses on high-quality, low-cost, and replicable interventions to address gaps in the education system. Pratham has now grown both in scope and geographical coveragein 21 states in India.Pratham’s goal is tohave Every Child in School and Learning Well. Other countries are now using Pratham’s model.
A Children’s Literacy Movement
At Pratham BC we believe Education is a primary right of all children in the efficacy of education & literacy. We wantto make a difference in the lives of those disadvantaged children. An enthusiastic group of volunteers, inspired by a common desire and vision started the Canadian Pratham Chapter in November 2004. Pratham BC Foundation is a registered charity based in Coquitlam,BC.Our mission is to help eradicate poverty and focus on building capacity of marginalized children in India, by enabling them to master the life altering skills of reading, writing and counting.
- Read India – aims to help improve reading, writing and basic arithmetic skills of children in the 6-14 years age group across India
- Aser – a nationwide appraisal on the state of education in India. Simply put, it is a survey which quantifies the learning of school children. A substantial voluntary effort is set up across the nation, to conduct a household study measuring several basic and simple parameters of enrolment, facilities and learning.
- CAMaL-focuses on combining child’s reading, listening, speaking, and writing competencies by providing multiple stimuli to promote self-learning. A unique feature of CAMaL is that it puts the child first
- Second Chance – gives dropout students, especially girls, a chance to complete secondary school education and acquire skills for employment.
- Urban Program- provides additional teaching support to children, whose parents are unable to provide as they themselves may not have received any formal education.
- Vocational Training – Institute for literacy, education and vocational training was set up to provide disadvantaged youth with employability skillsin industry-specific entry level skills in construction, hospitality, automotive, healthcare, beauty and wellness, tailoring and pre-school teacher training.
OVERALL COVERAGE & REACHED
Work in 21 Indian states & union territories, reaching over:
- 4,600 drop-out youth, mostly girls
- 15,000 young adults
- 7,653,000 children
Make a Difference in a Child’s Life
As little as C$25 donation can educate a child for an entire year.
Get Involved at:
Pratham BC Foundation
2236 Sorrento Drive
Coquitlam, BC, Canada V3K 6P3
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org